1. To believe on it and everything it speaks about.
Allah swt says:
يأيها الذين ءامنوا بالله ورسوله والكتاب الذي نزل على رسوله والكتاب الذي أنزل من قبل ومن يكفر بالله وملائكته وكتبه ورسله واليوم الأخر فقد ضل ضلالاً بعيداً
(O you who have believed, believe in Allah and His Messenger and the Book that He sent down upon His Messenger and the Scripture which He sent down before. And whoever disbelieves in Allah, His angels, His books, His messengers, and the Last Day has certainly gone far astray.) [4:136]
2. Reciting it with Tajweed.
Allah swt says: ( ورتل القرءان ترتيلاً )
( And recite the Qur’an with measured recitation.) [73:4]
The Prophet PBUH: “Read the Qur’an, for it will come as an intercessor for its reciters on the Day of Resurrection.”
3. To act on its teaching.
Allah swt says: ( وهذا كتاب أنزلناه مبارك فاتبعوه واتقوا لعلكم ترحمون )
(And this [Qur’an] is a Book We have revealed [which is] blessed, so follow it and fear Allah that you may receive mercy.) [6:155]
4. Gain its knowledge and teach it.
The Messenger of Allah (swt) said, “The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur’an and teaches it.”
5. Reflect and ponder on it.
Allah swt says: ( أفلا يتدبرون القرءان )
(Then do they not reflect upon the Qur’an ) [47:21]
6. To remain silent while its been recited.
Allah swt says: (وَإِذَا قُرِئَ الْقُرْآنُ فَاسْتَمِعُوا لَهُ وَأَنصِتُوا لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ ﴿
So when the Qur’an is recited, then listen to it and pay attention that you may receive mercy. [7:204]
7. Adab of the Qur’an.
*The Qur’an should be read only in the state of purity, if you are in a state of major impurity, you cannot read/touch untill you take a complete bath.
* It shouldn’t be carelessly handled, and if a person is handling it or giving it to some person, he should do so with his right hand.
* It should be taken care of it and safeguarded from getting torn, and if it tears, it should not be thrown instead it should be burnt and buried in a clean and safe ground.
* Nothing should be written on it without any proper reason to do so.
* Nothing should be placed on top of the Quran.
All this due to the importance of the book and respect to the book of Allah.
Reviewed by Rafeef Bint AbdulMannan