Holy is He Who carried His servant by night from the Holy Mosque (in Makkah) to the farther Mosque (in Jerusalem) – whose surroundings We have blessed – that We might show him some of Our signs 1. Indeed He alone is All-Hearing, All-Seeing. (Quran 17:1)
A miraculous night where the Prophet (peace be upon him) was honored, the first verse of surah Isra talks about his miraculous journey of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Allah All Mighty took his Messenger beyond the heavens and showed him the signs which are inaccessible to men otherwise.
There is a difference of opinion about the exact date of the journey.
- The night of journey occurred during the year in which Allah honored Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) with prophethood. This view was chosen by AtTabari.
- It occurred five years after the beginning of his prophethood. This view is preferred by An – Nawwawi and Al – Qurtubi.
- It was the night of 27th Rajab during the tenth year of Prophethood. This view was chosen by Allamah Al Mansurpuri.1
There are a number of details about the event
Ibn Al-Qaiyim said “Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) was carried physically according to the correct view – from the Sacred Masjid in Makkah to Bait Al Maqdis in Jerusalem, riding on Buraq in the company of Jibreel (peace be upon him).There he alighted, tied the horses to a ring in the gate of the Masjid and led the Prophets on prayer.” 2
After that he ascended from Bait Al Maqdis to the heavens meeting a prophet on each heaven as he greeted them and they welcomed and replied him back.
The prophet (peace be upon him) had the opportunity to see Malik, the keeper of hell. He saw Paradise and The fire. He also saw how the unjust were being punished in Hell. Those who consumed the property of orphans had snouts similar to camels, swallowing red-hot stones and then issuing out of their backs. Also, there were people who took interest and usury with bellies too big to be able to move around.
On this very blessed journey the Prophet (peace be upon him) was blessed with the daily five prayers for the Ummah. He was presented with milk and wine. He chose the milk, it was said “You have chosen the Fitrah -or- you took the Fitrah. Had you selected the wine your nation would have been misled.”
The trip significantly became subjected to a lot of criticism by the non-Believers but it was nothing unusual for the believers. For He who is Powerful enough to have created the heavens and the earth can take His Messenger beyond the heavens to show him the signs directly.
- The sealed Nectar/Safiur Rahman Al Mubarakpuri/Al – Isra and Al – Miraj/page 178.
- The sealed Nectar/Safiur Rahman Al Mubarakpuri/Al – Isra and Al – Miraj/page179.